Friday 29 January 2010

Review : Stila Kajal Eyeliner in Topaz


I purchased this eyeliner a few weeks ago and Ive given it a good few wears..  I have to say, I don't like it!

After all the videos, reviews and recommendations I believed I would love it, but somehow it just didn't live up to expectations.  I took it out is little grey box with excitement, swatched it and just thought 'what was all the hype about?'.



I purchased it from Amazon for £3.62 + £1.95 P&P (dispatched from Cheapsmells)

I could be a little biased here as I realise after using this that I'm not a fan of a white or nude waterline, its just not a good look on me.  I didn't realise until I tried it out that its probably been a good 2 or 3 years since I last applied my makeup without using a black, grey or brown liner on my waterline..  So either it will take some getting used to, or I have to face up and admit I look awful with the no makeup look!

Stila Topaz is a nice colour, it is flesh toned and you only need one line of it, should you go over the line again you'd probably risk it turning a weird orange-y tone.  I made the mistake of applying it twice - I think I was desperate for this 'pop' of colour or just any effect to back up all the rave reviews.. but nope, it just turned a horrible orange.  So definitely less is more with this!

In the past Ive used:
Rimmel Kohl pencil, just a plain white one.. Which I just realise Ive lost so I cant swatch it for you :-/
Bourjois Kohl & Contour #17 Blanc Givre (£4.29)
Barry M Shimmering eye and Lip Crayon.

I swatched (top to bottom) the Stila Topaz, The Bourjois Kohl & Contour and the Barry M.  The Bourjois almost blends into the Barry M as theyre so similar.  I drew one single line with all 3.



The Rimmel wasn't any different to most other brands of white eyeliner.  The Bourjois one is a white shimmer pencil with a hint of pink.  The Barry M one I have probably isn't intended for the waterline as its quite fat and a bit too creamy!  But Ive used it there occasionally, it is good for using in the corners of your eye as a highlighter just to give your eyes that wide eyed look though.  The Barry M is pretty similar to the Bourjois one but its a shade darker I think.

All in all I would probably go back to the Bourjois if I wanted a nude look on my waterline as I find the colour more uplifting, of course its not a natural look like the Stila, but I think on me it works better.  Added to this I think the shimmer looks prettier than the matte effect of the Stila Topaz.

If you like wearing no dark colours on your waterline and you want a more natural, wide eyed look then do give this a try, you might just love it as much as other people do!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your swatches aren't so good, but thanks for the review! I'm thinking of getting Stila's Kajal Eyeliner in Topaz, but might get the Barry M!

Anonymous said...

Having read this I thought it was very enlightening.
I appreciate you finding the time and effort to put this article together.
I once again find myself spending a significant amount of time both reading and leaving comments.
But so what, it was still worthwhile!

Also visit my site :: clear

Anonymous said...

Great, Well explained and i like the shades

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment, I love reading what you have to say! :)